Software Technical Writer
|Contract Type:||Direct Hire||Practice Area:||Communications|
Our progressive and highly profitable client in downtown Indianapolis seeks a Software Technical Writer to interview subject matter experts (SMEs) to produce documents for both technical and non-technical audiences. The full-time direct hire position comes with a COMPETITIVE BASE SALARY, free downtown parking, gym membership and other perks!
SOFTWARE TECHNICAL WRITER KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interview system architect and software engineers to learn how the system works.
- Write easy-to-read documentation designed for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Monitor new projects and system changes to ensure existing documentation stays up to date.
- Work with other departments to create documentation deliverables for third-party integrations.
- Be an expert for co-workers on what’s documented and what still needs to be documented.
- Create and maintain API documentation.
- Compose software release notes.
- Compose regular reports on additions to, removals from, and updates to the documentation.Gather and report on documentation usage statistics and evaluate user behavior, making best practice recommendations and changes to the documentation to foster its use.
SOFTWARE TECHNICAL WRITER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree from an accredited four-year institution in Journalism, English, Creative Writing, or similar.
- At least two years of experience as a professional writer.
- Comfortable writing articles on deadline.
- Experience interviewing subject matter experts (SME).
- Professional experience working with a writing style guide like the AP Stylebook.
- Familiarity with wiki software like Confluence, MediaWiki, or DokuWiki.
- Familiarity with Markdown or other markup languages (HTML, XML, WikiText, TeX, etc.).
- Experience writing and editing HTML / CSS.
- Experience managing a content management system (CMS).
- Familiarity with programming languages like Visual Basic .NET and SQL.
- Knowledge of the travel and leisure industry.
**Prior programming knowledge is preferred but not required. Our Software Technical Writer will learn most of what is needed on the job.**