|Commitment:||Full Time||Contract Type:||Direct Hire|
Our client in Chicago has an immediate opening for a Legal Secretary. This position provides all aspects of administrative support to attorneys within the department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides secretarial support to assigned attorney(s) which may include typing, drafting documents, answering phones, scheduling appointments, calendar management, dictation, opening and distributing mail. Deals with sensitive, confidential information and ensures that day to day support for team runs smoothly and effectively.
- Assist attorneys through the litigation process, from discovery to trial to post-trial appeals.
- Monitor cases for outside defense and local counsel invoicing to meet specific deductibles, while following protocol for payment of same via trust disbursements after insured’s deductibles are met.
- Provide accrual spreadsheets and monthly statements to clients.
- Coordinate travel arrangements and establish contracts with out-of-state hotels for hotel room accommodations, conference rooms and catering for attorneys and outside experts for hearings, pre-trials, depositions and trial.
- Schedule court reporters and secure meeting rooms for depositions.
- Track and maintain attorney’s CLE credits and renewal dates.
- Process outside vendor and local counsel invoices; track payment of same.
- Prepares legal documents, correspondence, memos, letters and reports.
- Assists with drafting and preparing documents such as petitions, motions and interrogatories. Establishes and maintains files and enters data into a case management system.
- Sends and retrieves documents from Records as needed and follows work flow procedures as it relates to opening/closing matters and generating engagement/disengagement letters.
- Answers phone, deals with routine inquiries for both internal and external contacts; refers calls to other contacts as needed and takes thorough messages. Utilizes strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Maintains a courteous and service driven demeanor at all times.
- Maintains attorney calendar(s) and contact lists as requested. Arranges all aspects of both internal and external client meetings and conferences. Stays apprised of calendars and actively communicates changes or reminders as needed.
- Coordinates all business-related travel arrangements for direct report attorneys. Submits all business-related expenses for reimbursement on behalf of the attorney(s).
- Maintains familiarity with legal terminology, working knowledge of applicable court filing rules, including electronic filing protocols in state and federal courts, basic legal procedure and law firm document protocol. Has knowledge of legal document formats such as contracts, agreements, briefs, summonses, complaints and motions.
- Ensures a high level of service when interacting with clients, opposing counsel, and other related internal and external contacts. Maintains discretion and sound judgment when interacting with others both external and internal to the Firm. Assumes a helpful, proactive and professional manner at all times when dealing with both internal and external clients. Supports and cultivates service standards as expected by the Firm.
- Operates standard office equipment such as computers, photocopiers, calculators, and uses required software applications to effectively perform job duties. Scans and cleans up documents utilizing scanner equipment and software. Convert and format documents from other software applications.
- Records, edits, and submits timesheets through time and billing system.
- Takes initiative to build on existing skills through both self-directed development, as well as Firm sponsored training programs. Shows willingness to share knowledge of specialist with others in the Firm. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Uses initiative and creativity to solve problems and research information to advance matters.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Must have 3-8 years of experience.
- Keyboarding skills of at least 65 wpm.
- Advanced skills in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Previous litigation work experience preparing pleadings and discovery; extensive litigation experience with solid knowledge base of a lawsuit cycle, from inception onward.
- Familiarity with the rules and procedures of federal and state court filing systems; able to understand and apply the local rules of various courts with respect to the form, content, formatting and other requirements including file size and redaction rules for documents, pleadings, exhibits and electronic filings.
- Familiarity with Pacer, NextGen and legacy court login procedures.
- Familiarity with USPTO patent application filings, navigating Private Pair using PKI login, USPTO Financial Manager for payment of maintenance fees, etc.
- Familiarity with federal and appellate ECF filings, retrieval of filed documents, uploading and indexing pleadings to various locations for attorney-client access.
- Familiar with calling courthouses and judge’s chambers to obtain procedural information relevant to attorneys needs.
- Ability to input and manage calendar data in outlook, including scheduling and coordination of meeting requests and tasks.
- Ability to simultaneously juggle, prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, challenging, and deadline driven environment.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.