|Commitment:||Full Time||Contract Type:||Direct Hire|
|Practice Area:||Legal||Education:||Undergraduate Degree|
Our client in Austin, TX is looking to hire a Legal Secretary on a direct hire basis. The Legal Secretary is responsible for all aspects of administrative support to attorneys primarily in our Affordable Housing section.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides secretarial support to assigned attorney(s) which may include typing, drafting documents, answering phones, scheduling appointments, calendar management, opening and distributing mail. Deals with sensitive, confidential information and ensures that day to day support for team runs smoothly and effectively.
- Prepares and revises legal documents, correspondence, memos, letters and reports.
- Establishes and maintains electronic files.
- Sends and retrieves documents from Records as needed and follows work flow procedures as it relates to opening/closing matters and generating engagement/disengagement letters. Has basic understanding of business organizational structure to be able to effectively process conflicts checks and first drafts of engagement letters.
- Addresses billing matters, including working with accounting department for monthly preparation and distribution of invoices, prepares billing status letters to clients, and communicates with clients on billing matters.
- Answers phone, deals with routine inquiries for both internal and external contacts; refers calls to other contacts as needed and takes thorough messages. Utilizes strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Maintains a courteous and service driven demeanor at all times.
- Maintains attorney calendar(s) and contact lists as requested. Arranges all aspects of both internal and external client meetings and conferences. Stays apprised of calendars and actively communicates changes or reminders as needed.
- Coordinates all business-related travel arrangements for direct report attorneys. Submits all business-related expenses for reimbursement on behalf of the attorney(s).
- Maintains familiarity with legal terminology, working knowledge of state agency rules, including electronic filing protocols, basic legal procedure and law firm document protocol. Has knowledge of legal document formats, particularly including organizational and formation documents, real estate transfer documents, and lending documents.
- Ensures a high level of service when interacting with clients, opposing counsel, and other related internal and external contacts. Maintains discretion and sound judgment when interacting with others both external and internal to the Firm. Assumes a helpful, proactive and professional manner at all times when dealing with both internal and external clients. Supports and cultivates service standards as expected by the Firm.
- Operates standard office equipment such as computers, photocopiers, calculators, and uses required software applications to effectively perform job duties. Scans and cleans up documents utilizing scanner equipment and software. Convert and format documents from other software applications.
- Records, edits, and submits timesheets through time and billing system.
- Takes initiative to build on existing skills through both self-directed development, as well as Firm sponsored training programs. Shows willingness to share knowledge of specialist with others in the Firm. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Uses initiative and creativity to solve problems and research information to advance matters. Uses technology to advance productivity and efficiency.
- Able to handle numerous demands and a high-volume workload.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Paralegal Certificate required.
- Must have 5 years of experience.
- Must have prior experience supporting Corporate or Transactional attorney(s), with real estate experience preferred.
- Keyboarding skills of at least 65 wpm.
- Advanced skills in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.